Tuesday 17 April 2012

BTO Nest Record Scheme

This morning my BTO Nest Record Scheme pack arrived, I'd been inspired through the work of Kane and Gillian. Taking a break from my final project I headed over to Red House Farm, mainly to check the bird boxes (courtesy of Wellfield Middle School) I had put up over the winter, in an attempt to hold the visiting Tree Sparrows.


Unfortunately the Tree Sparrows haven't used the boxes, although at least one bird is still present, calling from within the Hawthorns. Thankfully 2 out of 3 boxes are in use, both by Tit species. Both Blue Tit and Great Tit were calling in the vicinity. Box RHF Box 2 contained a half built nest, and RHF Box 3 had just recently begun gaining nesting material.









The area holds a huge number of breeding Wood Pigeons, although most are inaccessible. After searching some of the lower Hawthorns I eventually found this nest with 2 eggs. 


And for anyone interested, the post mortem for the Buzzard I found February 2011 in Cliburn Moss (near Penrith) was sent through today. Glad to see it hadn't been poisoned or shot. (double click for larger view)



1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the scheme and hopefully the Tree Sparrows will use the nest boxes, when they get more familar with them being there.

    ReplyDelete