Monday 8 February 2010

Wreay Woods

After sorting my house out for next year, I took a trip up to Wreay Woods.

http://www.cumbriawildlifetrust.org.uk/wreay-woods.html

As I entered the woods memories of Plessey Woods seem to spring up, it definitely had a Plessey Woods feeling. Heading West along the small river there wasn't a lot apart from Blue Tits, for the first 1/4 mile, the first thing to catch my attention was two Great Spotted Woodpeckers drumming. Jackdaw were seen flying overhead and Siskin heard, there was also a large number of Treecreeper in the area, I counted at least 6 different birds. 1 Grey Heron rested further along at the end of the reserve. The reserve ended but I kept going heading towards M6, there was quite a few dog walkers about, scanning the red sandy river bank a set of Roe Deer tracks were picked up, I followed for a while.

After a while I back tracked, I'm glad I did, 2 Dippers and 2 Common Buzzard, made an appearance on the way back to the car.

The blog has been a bit picture-less lately, starting to be a bit text orientated. My next post will be picture filled, and hopefully it will be well balanced from now on.

1 comment:

  1. Head my first drumming of the year yesterday too at Longhirst Hall

    ReplyDelete