Wednesday 24 February 2010

Great Mell Fell


Spent the morning at Great Mell Fell today, we had quite a bit of snow overnight and the roads to the fell were covered, no tracks, about 4 inches I would guess.
Arrived at the fell to see its summit in the clouds, I decided to stay in the woodland around its base. As I passed the National Trust sign a Common Buzzard flew from the tree above, sounding its disapproval of me intruding. It felt good to see that I was only one who entered this way today, no other footprints, apart from Roe Deer, Fox and Squirrel, which I followed for the rest of the morning.
The Squirrel tracks didn't last long, only a short distance to the base of a old Silver Birch, the Fox tracks strayed away from the fell, so Roe Deer was this mornings track to follow. It ran along the wall for a fair distance, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-Tailed Tit, and Goldcrest could be heard feeding above, a pair of Raven flew overhead, and a Great Spotted Woodpecker showed itself through a spell of drumming. I stopped for some food on a boulder, and left the deer track there, heading up the fell afterwards.
Looping back I found where the lone Roe Deer started its day, no doubt I will be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment